We continue to meet with friends weekly and complete a lesson from the Home Art Studio Kindergarten DVD. A few weeks ago we made a butterfly and in the video she talked about symmetry. Whatever they did to one side they were supposed to do to the other. I think they all did really well at that. Jitterbug (5). We had to tape the head back on his butterfly. He was the only one of mine who insisted the butterfly needed a face.
Ladybug (3). In the video Ms. Volin started with a blue circle on the top wings, so that’s what a lot of the kids started out with too. Ladybug cut most of hers out by herself and her butterfly ended up without a head, so we had to tape hers back on too.
Skeeterbug (8). I held myself back from helping any of them draw their butterflies (I helped Ladybug some), you can see they all three ended up with very different shapes. With this one you can more easily see the black line that denotes movement.
The next lesson we made an Owl Collage. This project involved a lot of gluing. First we drew an owl outline with a white crayon. Then we tore and tore and tore up paper. And glued and glued and glued all the pieces down. I drew Ladybug’s owl for her, she did about 1/3 of hers before she tired of all the gluing and tearing. I ended up filling in the rest of the brown feathers and the orange tummy. After that she was happy to finish and cut out all the rest (except the feet, I did those). I adore the eyes and beak because she did them herself.
Skeeterbug’s owl was large and took up the whole paper, which meant a lot of gluing. After I’d helped the others I helped him out by putting glue on his pieces so all he had to do was stick them on the paper. He’d gotten most of the way done by then but he was the last one working on his because his owl was so large. He named his owl Jonny. (Jonathan would normally be nicknamed Jono here, I’m not sure where he got Jonny.)
Jitterbug also tired of this and I helped him by putting glue on most of his pieces. He drew his owl all by himself, in fact he did everything except the feet. He tried the feet but wasn’t happy with them and asked me to make some for him. He named his owl Doby.
I love how different each of these are. I was actually surprised this was on the K DVD, not for the skill level but because the amount of gluing makes this such a lengthy project. Beyond the attention span of a K’er, anyway! And here are the germs we made…I’ll put Skeeterbug’s first so that you have an idea what it was ‘supposed’ to look like, his most closely resembled the example in the video. He chose to do three eyes and six legs.
Jitterbug chose to do four eyes and a crazy shape.
Ladybug did all of the drawing and most of the cutting, I helped her out with some triangles. Her germ had to be pink.
We are really enjoying the Home Art Studio lessons. Some of the levels were recently on sale so I purchased all of the remaining levels that I didn’t have. I like that someone else is teaching the lesson and all we have to do is follow her example. You can see our other projects here.